When you realize your property is eligible for a tiny home and you’ve committed to building one, you may find yourself in a mix of excitement and anticipation. The next step in the ADU build process is the design & planning phase where you get to see your dreams come to life before your eyes. The idea of creating additional living space or rental income is enticing, but it’s also accompanied by a sense of responsibility. You’re now involved with more of the logistics – like permit approvals, building regulations and blueprint planning.
We understand that embarking on the journey to construct an ADU can be a daunting task, especially when it comes to navigating the permitting process. With the right knowledge and a proactive approach, you can streamline the permitting process and get one step closer to your dream ADU.
Understanding the Tiny Home Permitting Process
Cities across Florida are actively working to make ADUs more accessible by revising zoning and building regulations, reducing permitting fees, and providing clear guidelines for homeowners. These efforts aim to encourage ADU construction, supporting housing affordability and flexibility while accommodating the diverse needs of homeowners and renters.
It comes as no surprise then that the ADU permitting process can vary depending on your location – and can look different across each city, suburb and neighborhood.
You can find more detailed information on design, building, and zoning code requirements through the City of St. Petersburg Accessory Dwelling Unit Program.
You can also work directly with the CASK Construction team. We’re St. Pete’s #1 ADU builder for a reason. We don’t expect you to become the permit and code expert – that’s our job.
Comprehensive Project Management
- CASK Construction knows and follows all local zoning and building code regulations
- Manages the entire project with our team of architects, engineers, project managers and construction team
- Assembles the necessary documents for permit applications, including site plans, floor plans, elevations, and structural calculations.
- Submits your permit application to your local planning and building departments
Tips for a Smooth Approval
While the specific timeline can vary depending on factors such as local permitting processes, project complexity, and site conditions. The design and permitting phase typically takes around 4 to 6 months, while construction usually spans 4 to 5 months. At CASK Construction, we take pride in our ability to provide you with an entirely new living space, from concept to completion, in less than a year.
Our experienced team will work diligently to meet this goal while ensuring the highest quality construction. We understand that time is of the essence, and we are committed to delivering your ADU within a reasonable timeframe to help you achieve your housing goals without unnecessary delays.
You can help facilitate this with the following tips for a smoother permitting approval process:
- Start Early: The permitting process can be time-consuming, so it’s wise to start early. Be patient and prepared for potential delays. Keep in mind that it can take several weeks or even months to obtain the necessary permits.
- Hire Experienced Professionals: Working with experienced architects, designers, and builders who are well-versed in ADU regulations is crucial. They can help you navigate the permitting process and ensure your project complies with all requirements.
- Provide any necessary information and application fees in a timely manner.
- Be Patient and Persistent: The permitting process may involve multiple rounds of revisions and negotiations. Be patient and persistent in working with local authorities to address any concerns or issues that arise.
The ADU permitting process may seem complex, but with the right approach and knowledge, you can make it a manageable part of your ADU project. Starting early, seeking professional guidance, and maintaining open communication are key to a successful ADU permitting experience. Remember, the permitting process is just one step on the journey to having your ADU. Once approved, you can start building and soon enjoy the many benefits of this versatile and valuable addition to your property.
CASK Construction is here to help you through the entire process, from concept to completion. Contact us today, and let’s get started on your dream ADU!